Friday, April 24, 2009

Chinese Karaoke

So tonight was so fun! The principal of the kindergarten we teach at paid for all of her teachers (us Americans and the Chinese teachers) to go to a competition karaoke night. This afternoon we practiced a popular lovey Chinese song-we are pretty good. Then Annie wanted us to sing a popular Britney Spears song! Of course we said yes to that, it brings us back to our childhood! We chose Hit Me Baby One More Time-I remember all of the words and I haven't heard that song for about 5 years now!!! We got to the restaurant and we went into a huge room with a stage and karaoke set up at the front of the room. We got front row seats! We had dinner and a show, we were entertained by about 60 Chinese teachers. These Asians are crazy with karaoke-it is a new side of them we have never seen before. Dinner was pretty delicious, less fishy than other meals we have had. While we were eating everyone was singing and they wanted us to sing Hit Me Baby One More Time even though that was our competition song and the competition was not going to start until after dinner! So we sang it and it was a big hit! We sang pretty well! When we were done with dinner the competition started, it is really hard to pay attention when you don't know what ANYONE is saying. We were number 15 on the list, it took forever to get to us it felt like. All of the songs the Asians were singing all sounded the same! Very high pitch and loud. We got up and sang our Chinese song-I think they were shocked we knew that song! They all sang it with us! We thought we were done but they wanted us to sing Hit Me Baby One More Time again! So we did, it wasn't very good that time, we started too early then we were off. They still loved it though! After we sang they gave us an award for singing and a water bottle-haha it was so cute of them and our award looks very official! I love these Asians we work with! Even though we don't understand a word they say we still have so much fun with them! I had so much fun tonight, we are definitely taken care of here in China!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun night...I am once again jealous. I am not a karaoke fan, but I would participate in China because they wouldn't know that I really can't sing :) Aunt Sheralyn would love it too...she is such a karaoke hog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wish I could post a video! It won't let me! I will keep trying because you need to see the Asians karaoke, it is so funny. I was thinking if you and Sheralyn were here you guys would be fighting over the microphone the whole time! :)

    ReplyDelete