Sunday, February 15, 2009

Going to Church

We got up early today to go to church. We went down stairs of our apartment and there was a very small bus that was going to take us to Shenzen where church is. It took 2 hours to get there and when we got there we had to take our shoes off because we were in a really nice building with AC and a normal toilet. Most of the people there were White and from America, they live here with there families for business, there were Asians from Singapor-it was just like normal church at home except the children there were more loud and naughtier than at home, the bread was extremely soft and it seriously melted in my mouth, yes that is possible:) There were about 90ish people in the branch and about a 3rd of the members were ILP people! There were about 25 of us-we didn't even plan on going the same day! It just happened! After they fed us lunch and it was normal American food! They had BBQ beef sandwiches, chips, cookies, cheese cake, fruit and a lot more! It was so good!
I'm very glad I'm at this school. The other groups were telling us that they get charged $50 Chinese money if they don't eat everything on their plates at their school and they were fed pig's blood last week and they aren't suppose to teach the ILP method so they are teaching out of textbooks to 1st-3rd graders and they are giving them tests and quizes!!! Amy, our head teacher, said that the last ILP group must have left a bad rep. because now this school doesnt like ILP. Sad that people had to do that. I have a lot to be grateful for here (at our school) and I would never change it for the world! We get along with our teachers, we get to teach the ILP method and they feed us but we don't have to eat it if we don't want to. I'm also glad to know we have church kind of close by that we can go to once in a while, it was good to go and see white people and to hear English:)

6 comments:

  1. Holy cow, did it really cost a $120 to go to church? It sounds like you had a great time. These are some pretty cool experiences. Keep on posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raychel: Would you stop biting Mandy! I thought your mosquito nets were suppose to keep her safe. Those are some whopping bites she has. Keep your eye on her and thanks for the great updates. We love you guys.

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope for the other teachers sake that ILP starts making good at the other schools. If I were them I would skip the cafeteria and eat cup of noodles everyday. Isn't it funny how we see what other people are dealing with and we become more thankful for what we have. I am glad you are happy where you are at and you are enjoying this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it was really $120! We are not going again for,hopefully, a couple months. It is just too much money that I really don't have but it is a good experience!
    I'm sorry I keep biting Mandy, she is just so delicious! She will be ok, don't worry!:)
    I know! I hope the ILP teachers are nice and do what they are told, that is so crappy for them. This group is really good, I think, so hopefully they will give ILP a new/better name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Raychel. It sounds like you are having the time of your life. I hope everything is going great for you. If it is OK, we are going to add you to our blog spot. Check us out (when you are bored...ha ha ha).
    http://thepaulspost.blogspot.com.
    See ya,
    Ryan and family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hello! Thank you for reading my blog!!! I will for sure check your blog out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete