Friday, February 13, 2009

Chinese Birthday Parties

We just got back from Ryan's party! Whoa, it was so much fun! Ryan's mom is a teacher here and she invited us, she told us to come at 7:30. We got there at 7:30, that was weird, we should have gone later because we just stood there and Ryan and his friend, Ricky, were running us over with this tricycle. There were a couple other Chinese teachers and family there. Ryan ran around screaming in people's ears, I think they just wanted the Americans to come to the party, I'm cool with that. There was goodies galore and there was a huge box in the center of the table, we knew there was cake in it, but what kind of cake? We were nervous because they like to eat weird jelly cakes. When they opened the box, it was a cake with noodle things on top. Weird. We got a piece of cake and it was like angel food cake, whipped cream and fruit, including tomatoes, on top. It was good other than the beans that were in the middle of my cake. They put the weirdest things together, like meat in yummy sweet rolls. It is just nasty. I felt like it was a party for the American's instead of for Ryan, we went around and told the Asians about ourselves. I told them I play the piano and they made me play because there was a piano in the room. I played very poorly. Oh well, I will practice and redeem myself later. Then we learned about the asians who were in the room. Ryan's dad is a police officer, his name is Eric, he is very nice. Overall the asians we were hanging out with were normal, I like them a lot. And Chinese birthday parties are exactly like American birthday parties. They have cake, candles, singing and talking. Oh and camcording, they enjoyed filming Ryan and the Americans, it was really weird but whatever. I'm glad we went and I'm glad Ryan's mom invited us. It was culture-enriching.

2 comments:

  1. What a fun party. Except for the cake part, that sounds sick and wrong. What fun to play the piano too; I'm sure they were impressed and think all Americans are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun! And the cake was really good, you just had to eat around the beans:) I wanted them to make Mandy run in place because she told them she likes to run. That would have been funny.

    ReplyDelete